To the dreamers in my life,
As we approach years end, this is a time that brings up a lot of conflicting emotions for people. And yet, we are inspired to reflect on the year that has passed and set intentions for what we dream will transpire in the year ahead.
Resolutions fade because so often we focus on the what, a bit about the how, but very rarely do they focus on the most significant factor - the WHY.
As 2017 closes the loop around that big star in our sky, I challenge you to connect with your why.
“There are only two ways to influence human behavior: you can manipulate it or you can inspire it." - Simon Sinek
Below, I have shared with you my yearly process around how I create my practices and goals. This work has changed my life year after year. I encourage each of you to develop your own take on how it can help you discover your why!
TIP: Each time I write a habit/intention for the upcoming year, I start with why. Lets begin!
I. Create your Workspace: Divide a large note or poster board into 7 categories:
II. Define your GOAL: Under each category, write out a few reasons why you may need to create a new habit within this category. What is the goal for this new activity in your life? This is your WHY.
Example Goal: - "My goal is to slow down my eating habits so I can live more consciously."
III. Create your HABIT: "What is the new habit I'm looking to cultivate?" This can be a single new habit, or two or even three for each category. The important thing is to make sure its something you know you can achieve that year. This is your WHAT.
Example Habit - “I will be more mindful of my diet by not eating after 9pm."
IV. Set your PRACTICE: This is what you will tangibly do in order to begin bringing this habit to life. This is your HOW.
Example Practice:- “I’ll practice mindfulness by saying a prayer to my food every time I eat and taking note of the time I'm eating."
A few notes to help light the way:
1. Each new habit and practice has to be something that is tangible enough for me to acheive within a 12 month period. I ask myself, "what is the next step?", not what is at the top of the staircase.
2. With each habit and practice added, something needs to be removed, or at least new space created. Writing out a time structure helps tremendously when it comes to cultivating new habits and practices. If you are serious about creating a practice, you must know the time of day, the duration, and frame-work of the practice. Check out the app seconds to create a timeline, and let yourself drop into your personal structure.
3. It is important that you commit your personal practices to something greater than yourself. No matter what, if the reason why is greater than yourself, you will be more likely to keep up the work! Ever notice that it's easier to show up for others than yourself?... same concept.
Because of my habits, practices, and goals in 2017, my top 10 celebratory accomplishments this year are:
- Cultivated a daily practice that I love and am committed to.
- Graduated from the Art of Leadership Mastery from the Institute of Embodied Wisdom.
- Developed an online course called, How To Goddess and have had over 100 women in the program.
- Gathered women on a weekly basis in mine and Seth's home, and in doing so, surrounded myself with strong sisterhood.
- Started my coaching certification at The Tantric Institute of Integrated Sexuality
- Booked 3 commercials and made more money this year than all previous years.
- Expanded the work and depth of love within mine and Seth's relationship
- Became Vegan.
- Put out the META Method elemental series for free!
- Birthed WILD VESSEL and brought it to life, thanks to so many!!!
Finally, I just want to offer a deep bow of gratitude to each of you. We are on this journey together. Let us acknowledge the ebb and flow of life and continue to meet in the celebration.
I love you. I hope this was helpful. Let's bring in the new year by collectively defining and exploring the power of our Why.